Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Boy Who Lived... Come To Die...

WARNING - There will be spoilers in this post!

I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on Friday and it was completely awesome. We got there half an hour before the movie was due to be played and the queue was massive. It was the first time I'd ever experienced Potter mania and unfortunately it will also be my last. I was immensely glad we had booked tickets in advance as we were able to walk straight on in and pick our seats.

With that done, I was able to observe the people I'd be sharing this experience with choosing their own seats and I can't tell you how glad I was that a kid sat in front of me instead of some tall dude. It meant that my view of this incredible film was not obstructed. It's the little things people!

Overall I felt this film was simply amazing. It was beautfiul, epic and poignant in all the right places. It also had moments of charming humour which helped eaze the heaviness of the plot. For example Professor McGonagall saying "I've always wanted to use that spell!"  Neville saying he has the hots for Luna and Ron being his usual Ron self...

I couldn't help but cry at the scenes with Snape - begging Dumbledore to protect the Potters, the anguish he felt at Lily's death, when he told Harry that he had his mother's eyes and of course when he revealed his doe patronus to Dumbledore. Words cannot express how glad I was that they kept this line in the film...

"After all this time?"
"Always..."

It just means so much...

I did notice that some things weren't really explained and if you hadn't read the books then you wouldn't understand. For example, Dumbledore's past as well as his relationship with his brother and dead sister or why Hagrid was being held prisoner by the Death Eaters when Harry confronted Voldemort in the forest.

I also noticed things like Lupin and Tonks son was only mentioned in a passing comment, Snape's memories were in tear form, Ron and Hermione's first kiss happened in the wrong place and the final battle between Voldemort and Harry didn't take place in the Great Hall. Despite these discrepancies, I don't think the book was disrespected or that the film should be deemed "disappointing" because of them.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that Harry snapped the Elder Wand in two instead of fixing his original wand. I loved that part in the book but again, I don't think the film was ruined because of it. It just would have been a nice touch that's all.

It was also slightly weird seeing them nineteen years older but it was also undeniably sweet. I still think the names of their children were horrible though...

Overall, I loved this movie and it certainly did the series justice by going out with an epic bang. The fight scenes were just incredible! And of course, I loved that Neville finally had a chance to shine.


Love, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment