Thursday, July 7, 2011

Down with the Kidz...

Long ago, I escaped from the clutches of Bebo and Myspace into the realm of Facebook. At first, no one I knew had Facebook and I tried unsuccessfully to convert them. Over time though, I realised how much of a blessing that was. I could write what I wanted without causing offense or being teased and I didn't need to worry about who had me in their Top 16 or who would be my "other half" anymore either.

Being a part of Facebook made me feel incredibly grown-up. I can't tell you how wonderful it felt to not get friend requests from Myspace bands anymore. Remember them? So annoying...

Over time though, my love for it started to fade which incidentally coincided with its popularity increasing tenfold. It didn't feel exclusive anymore. It wasn't so bad that my classmates started getting it but most of my family were starting to get it too.

At the start, this was just weird but now more and more of the older generation have got it and it just makes me hate using it. Don't get me wrong, they're entitled to use it too - it just doesn't feel "cool" anymore. Especially when the majority of my friends are aunts and uncles I've never even spoken to or cousins I've never even met.

I was inspired to write this as only today I got another friend request from an uncle of mine who resembles Elvis so much its uncanny. What I think annoys me the most though is that I know I'm being used i.e. I'm only "talked to" when one of them wants me to pass on messages...

"Tell Helen that my phone isn't working so she isn't to worry if she can't get through when she rings me today"

"Say happy birthday to your dad from me, his big sister"

"What's your uncle up to these days?"

Although I will happily pass these sort of messages on, I guess I just want it back the way it was a few years ago - exclusive. Unlike now where I have to censor everything I write in case my aunt sees and tells my gran who will then tell my mum. I'm sure I'm not the only person to feel this way.

I've also come to the conclusion that I should probably just make my parents a Facebook page and have done with it. Years ago that would have been considered embarrassing whereas now, its just inevitable. And because of that, Facebook is no longer cool.

Love, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment